Thursday, September 15, 2005

Thanks Sara for opening my eyes a bit wider....

I was just reading something that a fellow blogger (Sara) wrote that just makes me want rant! In agreement with her of course!

I feel physically sick when I see how the maintsream is raising their babies and then I just want to scream when things go wrong later on... These new generations have explanitions for everything and believe that they are invisible yet take responsability for nothing. The make their kids grow up too fast, force them "self-soothe" , make them supress their feelings, overschedule, over push, over medicate, nutritionally deprive them (through formula, processed foods, lack of vegetables etc) , give them everything material but not emotional, and make them have priorities that are not appropriate for their age and then wonder why they have emotional problems later on it life.

I am made to feel like a freak because I do thing that are not seen as 'normal' I breastfeed, co-sleep, wear my baby because I love to do it, I use cloth diapers and practice Elimination Communication, I don't vaccinate and I won't be sending my kids to school.. I get comments that imply that I am hurting my kids, I get comments that imply that I have no problems with my kids, I have comments that imply that I love being every second with my kids and imply that I am just lucky... I work so hard to be such a parent in the society that I live and I feel that I am not allowed to complain without being told to take the "easy" way out... and because I don't complain because I don't want to rejustify everything over and over again.
I am set apart from other moms because they always feel the need to justify why they chose to do something when they are with me.
I can't talk about the joys of breastfeeding because they will feel guilty and then expain why they couldn't for the 100th time even if their reason is crap and they know it, and if I complain about the times that I feel touched out their only solution is to wean and then get into a whole talk about how formula isn't that bad and they survived and their kids survived... I can't talk about Xavier's nursing habits without being told that he is way too old to nurse...
I can't talk about how Xavier crowds the bed some nights and my back hurts because I will just get the speech about it being important for him to be in his own bed... I can't talk about Colin nursing at night without someone telling me to just let him CIO and that it is the best solution and it just needs to be done...

I want to leave this city, I want to go live in a commune or somewhere where I will have a community life. I want to live in the mountains again, I want to get rid of "stuff" and live with the basics, I want to peel potatoes with a friend, and sit down and chat over tea, I want to garden and teach and not always be alone...
I want to live in a world where I can finally be myself without constant justification...

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrea R said...

You can come visit me. :)

(Heck, help with peeling potatoes??? :D)

9/16/2005 08:15:00 a.m.  
Blogger paxye said...

Andrea... I would love to visit you!
Doesn't a mundane task like peeling potatoes just seem less mundane when you are doing it with a good friend?

9/17/2005 06:37:00 p.m.  
Blogger Sara said...

Like many of your posts, I could have written this one, too. I so hear you on the quick-fix-it responses to the downsides of breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc. I just want to barf when someone suggests that I wean. Real reasons aside, I do not want to make parenting even more difficult by adding formula and bottles and poopy diapers to the mix.

9/18/2005 12:46:00 a.m.  
Blogger Sara said...

Not only do I want to go somewhere where nursing is OK, I want to live somewhere where I can go around without a shirt on, because yanking my shirt out of my baby wraps whenever one of my two nurslings needs to eat is way more of a pain than my baby's emerging teeth.

9/18/2005 12:51:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, preach it, sister! Happy to have found your blog.

9/19/2005 01:47:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home