Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Xavier's just too weird sometimes....

Xavier is my first born and my little "weirdo"... He is just not like other kids...
As a newborn he was quiet, almost never crying, he was an angel until he was about 18 months old.. I could bring him anywhere and I did bring him everywhere without a peep... The only thing though was that he never fit into groups that I brought him to... he would nurse when he needed to but wasn't a big comfort nurser, he would eat and would use a spoon or fork almost immediately and he wouldn't get dirty... (I remember him just before he turned two and he was eating a piece of watermelon and would wipe himself after each bite)
At about 7-8 months old we joined a Mother Goose program... He hated it, he hated when people sang and he hated doing things with the others... We also where in Mom-tot groups that brought the same results... He was and still is a "loner"... It is OK, and I understand that that is who he is but I find it sad that he never wants to play with others and he still doesn't play well with others especially if he is put in a situation that he needs to do so (like at daycare)...
Xavier also matured very early, he understands things so well but didn't talk until quite later on.... He loves to play alone, doesn't like playing games, will pretend but rarely does so if he thinks you are watching...
Toys like the tupperware ball, Stacking rings, stacking cups and all of those really never interested him until he was fully aware that he could do them... He doesn't like trying new things unless he knows that he has the capacity to accomplish it...
For his first full three years he refused to look at a book with us, now however he is catching up and reads with us everyday... He still hates when we sing though... NO ONE is allowed to sing to him, though I can get around it by saying that I am singing to Colin now....
It's true though that he also stopped growling at the TV whenever there was a song (or just shutting the TV off) and now actually listens but only if we don't let him know that we know that he is watching it... Though at the moment the kids are in the bath and Simon put the Lollipop song on and is making them laugh...
He also never really danced until recently and even then he will only do so by Turning around once or twice and then growl and go hide....
Xavier also has the best memory I can imagine... He knows characters be their names (star wars toys etc), he knows songs and what shows they come from, he can often recognize words (yet doesn't know his letters)
So why do I think he is weird today...
I went on a nature walk with the boys... Xavier doesn't leave the path at all and won't walk ahead or behind me.. He holds a walking stick but won't touch anything also cause he doesn't want to get dirty... Along the path I decided to try to sing a song...
Here's the conversation...
Me: Xavier repeat after me OK... (he know what repeat is)
Xavier: OK Mama
Me: We're going on a bear hunt
Xavier: We're going... Where's the bear?
Me: It's a song that talks about a bear... so repeat after me... We're going on a bear hunt..
Xavier... Where's the bear?
Me: (continuing the song) we got the tall grass... do we go around it? No...
Xavier: No...
Me: Do we go over it?... No...
Xavier No...
Me: Do we go through it?
Xavier: Mama?
Me: Yes Xavier?
Xavier: Where's the Bear?

1 Comments:

Blogger mojotek said...

I'm kinda parial to the kid's name... maybe cause it's mine too. Sounds a little like me when I was little, cept for the keepin' clean part.

9/26/2005 12:20:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home