Tuesday, October 18, 2005

French/english school...

Yesterday I went to Xavier's daycare because it was their picture day and it wasn't a day that he goes to daycare...
While I was waiting a mom there heard me speak in English to Xavier and asked me if I was going to send him to "Harold Sheppard" the only english school in the region... I told her that I didn't think so because I didn't hear good things about it ... and just before I told her that I was going to be homeschooling anyways she told me how she had heard that it was a great school and that is why she is sending her kids there... I told her about what I had heard....It is an English school in which the teachers are french, french is spoken in the school and the level of english is seemingly appalling... She interupted me again saying that she didn't find that and she even had to fight with the teachers to speak french with her daughter because her daughter didn't know a word of english and it wasn't fair for her, and that she even though of taking her out of the school because she is there to learn english, "afterall we are in Quebec" so they should speak french.... ARGGGHHHH ...
First I I looked at this mom like she had a second head... and then I couldn't help it... So I told her... See, THAT's why I don't want to send me kids there... when there are is large majority of the kids that don't speak english at all, never have and then the parents tell the teachers to speak in french also, I can't imagine the level of english is near standard, and if the kids are just learning how to speak english the entire time, when do they learn all of the other stuff?... I then told her that I was going to homeschool anyways...
It is an ENGLISH SCHOOL!!! I understand that people want their kids to learn english but why does it have to sacrifice education... I called the school yesterday after this incident and asked them about their school... yes most of the teachers are bilingual but with french as their first language and out of the 80 families that have kids in the school only 3 are english...
I am glad that I am going to Homeschool... I have always wanted it and more and more there is no other alternative...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home