Sunday, June 26, 2005

Perfect Ribs and a little bit of History...

I have this great Rib recipe that I got a few years ago... and finally got it perfect last night!! I have been trying for years and the taste was pretty much there but they were always dry... I tried so many things and they never worked but last night I got it and understood what was going wrong... As weird as it may sound I have a weird connection to these Ribs…
I was born in Montreal, and at the age of 2 my Mom needed to get away from my Dad and one night in the middle of the night she packed up the car and we left… We arrived in a little town in BC and she fell in love with it and we stayed… so I was raised in Nelson BC. At about the age of 11 my mom wanted to find a job and have me know my family so we headed back to Montreal...
A few weeks after I arrived in Montreal I met my Dad for the first time since the age of 2… our first meeting was a bit weird, he just showed up out of nowhere behind me in a line while I was waiting to get a hotdog from the restaurant at the pool… Anyways… around the 2nd or 3rd time I saw him he brought me to a great Restaurant in downtown Montreal called the Bar-B-Barn. I don’t remember having eaten ribs before going there but I fell in love with them…The Bar-B-Barn became the place that I always asked to go for my birthday and I always remember the first time that I had went with my Dad. My Dad and I have had lots of ins and outs (more outs then ins!) and now we have finally found the niche in which our relationship can work.
As for the ribs… I haven’t been to the Bar-B-Barn in years… My Birthday suppers one day transformed to a different kind of cuisine (Steak and Lobster LOL Hey! I am not paying) but I still love ribs..
Anyhow, I found the Recipe for Bar-B-Barn Ribs on the net a few years back… it had been published in the Local Newspaper in 1990… Here is the Recipe… The Sauce Recipe is the same as the one I found but the method is tweaked because it never turned out right and some things are added…


2 lb Ribs or more (the sauce can be stretched for a lot of ribs)

Sauce
2 c Brown Sugar
1 c Apple Sauce
1/2 c Lemon Juice
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Paprika
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Garlic Powder

Dry Rub
2 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Paprika
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
1 tbsp Chili Powder

Cover Ribs with Dry Rub Let sit for about 1 hour in the Fridge,
Heat BBQ on Low Temp,
Wrap Ribs in Tin foil and place in BBQ for about 1 ½ hours
Place all the ingredients for Sauce in a Sauce pan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, continuously stirring and then set aside.
Remove ribs from tin foil, turn off one of the burners in the BBQ, put the lit burner to a medium heat and place ribs on the side that is unlit… Baste with Sauce frequently for about 40 min… Light the second burner again and finish the ribs on a Medium heat for another 10 min (to get the nice caramel colour on the ribs)
Spinkle the Ribs with a bit of Fresh Lemon...
Serve Rice cooked in Tomato sauce with a bit of added Salsa, salt and Worcestershire.

So, I finally got them perfect last night and I was actually brought back to that first time I had eaten them and thoughts of my Dad....

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to try this recipe, my husband loves ribs.

Thanks for adding me as a link, care if I do the same for you?

Hope all is well for ya! :)

6/29/2005 04:52:00 a.m.  
Blogger paxye said...

Go ahead... they are great!! I hope that you all like them as much as we do ;)... I would love for you to do the same! Thanks!

6/30/2005 01:03:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home